I want to upgrade my rotors, but.... - Engine Care & Maintenance Forum
Engine Care and Automotive Maintenance Forum Engine Care and Automotive Maintenance Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Engine Care & Maintenance Forum > Automotive Care & Maintenance > Brake Systems
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Brake Systems Discuss the care and maintenance of automotive brake systems in here.

Engine-Care.com is the premier Engine Care Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I want to upgrade my rotors, but....

What is the advantage of Slotted, to Drilled, to Drilled AND Slotted?

I bought some Drilled AND Slotted rotors from Brembo for my old WRX, and have yet to start modding my new one. But that will hopefully be soon. I have seen a lot of the Porsche Turbos running around Toronto, and they all have Drilled rotors stock, but I dont see any of them Slotted. Why?

I saw an ad for some rotors on TV and they were Slotted. But then the WRC cars use slotted, but not drilled. I am so confused.

awd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found this, but it doesnt talk about Drilling or Slotting, but I though it was a really cool video

http://www.youtube.com/v/CDqkwjartM8&hl

Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey whats up? Okay heres my .02 Slotted and cross drilled rotors work the same. They both release dirt and oil that make there way in between the brakpad and the rotor itself. But main reason to get slotted/X drilled rotors is because they stay cooler, therefore it doesnt compromise braking performance. But in my opinion i would recommend slotted. Reason being, X drilled with time and heat exposure tend to start cracking which is not a good thing. Hope this helps good luck with the upgrade.
SHIFT_Into Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm, interesting. That makes sense. Thanks for the input Shift.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

No prob buddy...let me knw whether you go with slotted/X drilled.
SHIFT_Into Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_Into Life View Post
Hey whats up? Okay heres my .02 Slotted and cross drilled rotors work the same. They both release dirt and oil that make there way in between the brakpad and the rotor itself. But main reason to get slotted/X drilled rotors is because they stay cooler, therefore it doesnt compromise braking performance. But in my opinion i would recommend slotted. Reason being, X drilled with time and heat exposure tend to start cracking which is not a good thing. Hope this helps good luck with the upgrade.
i agree totally thats why i got slots for my 01 legacy and hawk pads.
pahinui31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Both slotted rotors and cross-drilled rotors are designed to dissipate the vaporized gases which form between the brake pad and disc itself during hard braking. This eliminates brake fade and greatly improves brake cooling in two ways: more channels which allow surrounding air currents to flow through the rotor, and by simply having the disc made out of less material.

Rotors which are only slotted are, in my opinion, the strongest as they lack thru-holes which can crack in the heating and cooling cycles of everyday driving.

Rotors with drilled holes can, as previously posted, crack around the outer diameters of the drilled holes, compromising strength. Some extremely cheap after-market rotors also lack chamfers on the holes, thus destroying brake pads in very short order.

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors look awesome, but wouldn't be my first choice for a daily driver.
Benz Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_Into Life View Post
I also agree with this one. I got slotted brakes in my car. Never had problems (for now) I think if you get slotted brakes it will last longer than X drilled. Just my 2 cents
KarenCaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Engine Care & Maintenance Forum > Automotive Care & Maintenance > Brake Systems